Author: Gonca BAHAR
THE NATURE IS CALLING US is an international eTwinning project. The purpose of our project is to gain awareness of being environmentally conscious and leaving a livable world to new generations. To instil this consciousness to individuals, to raise conscious individuals who are respectful to nature also means to invest in the future.
It is possible to raise environmentally friendly individuals by transferring this awareness to them at the right time and in the right way. For this, collaborative work that will be carried out with activities that bring environmental awareness raise our project to its target.
Our project aims to expand our awareness in different layers of society by developing our students’ awareness of being respectful to the environment and being environmentally conscious. By targeting effective learning in communication with the group by using information technologies, students learnt to interact in a group and also use web 2.0 tools within the scope of these activities. They also improved their foreign language skills.
Our students in this project:
• Became conscious regarding water consumption and gained environmental awareness.
• Using the STEM approach, they gained awareness of the negative effects of global climate change on the world.
The project was held in partnership with schools in Turkey, Albania and Italy. There were 26 schools and teachers in the project with 300 students participating (approximately). In this project, mixed school teams worked as 13 teams in total, in order to draw attention to Global Climate change. Our activities took place betwen 20 – 30 April 2020.
MIX SCHOOL TEAMS, MENTOR TEACHERS AND TEAM ACTIVITY
- TEAM 1 (GONCA BAHAR / ANJEZA ÇERRI): WHAT IS THE GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE?
- TEAM 2 (DERYA DİKİCİ /SEDA ÜNLÜ): REASONS FOR GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE?
- TEAM 3 ( NİLÜFER LAFCI / FATMA KILIÇ): WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE?
- TEAM 4 (SAADET BAHAR / FATMA AKGÜL): SOLUTION PROPOSALS FOR GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE
- TEAM 5 (NİLGÜN AKTAŞ / ZEYNEP MEŞELİKAŞ): GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE
- TEAM 6 (İSKENDER ÖZCAN / ÖZKAN YETKİN): THE EFFECT OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE ON HUMAN HEALTH
- TEAM 7 (SABRİYE BETÜL GELDİ/ YELİZ HEPSAĞ): EFFECT OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE ON WATER RESOURCES
- TEAM 8 (İMMİHAN SEZEN AYDOĞDU / İLKNUR ZOROĞLU): EFFECT OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE ON SOIL
- TEAM 9 (TURGUT AYDIN/ ALICE SEVERI): EFFECT OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE ON WEATHER CONDITIONS
- TEAM 10 (ŞERİFE DALKIRAN/BURCU YALVAÇ): THE EFFECT OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE ON BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY
- TEAM 11(ZÜLAL KAZDAL ÇELİK/HİLAL KAHRAMAN ÜZGÜN): THE EFFECT OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE ON FORESTS
- TEAM 12 (HAKAN GEÇİLİ/DİLEK BEKOĞLU YILMAZ): THE EFFECT OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE ON HISTORICAL WORKS
- TEAM 13 (ZELİHA HARTOĞLU /BUSE DEMİRCİN): SCIENTIFIC EVALUATION OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE
In order to increase awareness, posters that draw attention to the subject were prepared. Here are some of them:
In order to prevent climate change, students carried out various activities:
1) Waste paper collection
2) Waste oil collection
3) Environmental cleaning (Forest and beach cleaning etc.)
4) Collecting waste packaging (recyclable) and participating in competitions
5) Waste battery collection
6) Useful products were formed from waste materials
7) Participating in professional and personal development trainings
8) Greening the environment
We also took various measures to prevent climate change. Some of those were:
1) Let’s unplug the electrical appliances we do not use.
2) Let’s use an energy-saving bulb for lighting.
3) Let’s use products that provide high efficiency with low energy consumption.
4) Let’s strengthen the heat insulation of our house.
5) Let’s use a solar panel.
6) Let’s walk or ride a bicycle.
7) Let’s prefer public transportation instead of cars.
8) Let’s prefer airplane travel less.
Finally, by conducting teamwork between countries, by conducting a joint STEM study with a group of students and teachers, in the works to be carried out with our students, the issue of global climate change was addressed and 3D animations were carried out to increase awareness.
I work in the city of Mersin in Turkey as a chemistry teacher at a high school. I completed my master’s degree on “Analytical Chemistry” at Çukurova University. My interests are on Web 2.0 tools and eTwinning Projects. Except for those, apart from school learning environments, interdisciplinary studies, drama, scientific creativity, nature of science, entrepreneurship, e-learning environments are other interests and fields of study.